***DUST STORM ALERT NSW & QLD*** 22/11/18
6:30PM NSW / SOUTHERN QLD DUST & VIC / SOUTHERN NSW SNOW UPDATE:
Dust: Visible satellite imagery is continuing to detect raised dust and a dust storm to be situated between Charleville and Newcastle / Port Macquarie moving East. Areas such as St George, Goondiwindi, Inverell, Moree, Armidale, Port Macquarie, Newcastle, Taree, Tamworth and surrounds are in the thick of it. Another area of raised dust is being detected over Northern and North West NSW and impacting areas such as Bourke, Nyngan, Cobar, White Cliffs and surrounds moving East to North East on the top side of the low which is further South.
Snow: A low pressure system is located over Eastern VIC moving East still. This low is producing snow down to 1000m over VIC and 1100-1200m over Southern NSW which could end up including the Brindabella Ranges in the ACT overnight tonight as well. Isolated hailstorms are developing around the low through Southern NSW and Central / Eastern VIC with some hail showers also likely through these areas too.
2:15PM NSW / SOUTHERN QLD DUST & VIC / SOUTHERN NSW SNOW UPDATE.
Dust: Visible satellite imagery is detecting a dust storm and raised dust across Southern Inland QLD, Northern Inland NSW and through the Hunter and NSW Central Coast. This dust is moving East and staying Inland across Northern NSW and Southern Inland QLD for now. Areas of the Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands may start to experience air quality deteriorating over the next few hours as the dust arrives.
Snow: The centre of a very visible low pressure system is located West of the Victorian Alpine region near Shepparton. This low is moving East across Victoria and South East NSW. Areas within the blue circle are likely to see snow continue for the remainder of the day down to 1000m across VIC and 1100m across Southern NSW. Areas lower than that aren’t expected to see snow, but could see hail showers as isolated storms are likely to develop during the afternoon and evening along with intense showers tapping into the freezing air just above the surface.
10:20AM NSW UPDATE:
• A dust storm has been detected on visible satellite stretching from Cunnamulla, QLD to Wollongong, NSW.
• The thickest dust is currently located through Gilgandra, Walgett and Cunnamulla. This dust storm is moving towards the East and North East.
• Areas South from Port Macquarie are likely to experience a dust haze during the day.
• Areas through inland NSW from Gunnedah, Tamworth, Armidale, Naribri, Moree, Inverell and into QLD from Goondiwindi, St George to Charleville are likely to experience a thicker dust haze. Further towns may be included during the day as we track the dust towards the East.
• At this stage the dust is lasting around 6hrs for each location as it passes through. All dust is expected to be cleared land areas by Friday.
Cover image via Weatherzone
Offer your support while gaining access to our detailed accurate forecasts and maps by becoming a Higgins premium member.
Subscribing is easy by visiting our website > Higgins Storm Chasing Premium Membership Weather Service