Subscribe to HSC for detailed forecasts and maps across QLD here! 
Above image: Hot maximum temperature anomaly via Tropical Tidbits

Issued Thursday 10th August 2017. The entire state is about to come under a hot spell due to a week long Winter heatwave from Friday onwards. 95% of the state is forecast to hit 30 degrees plus with the remaining 5% along the exposed coastline over 25 degrees! If you think is been a warm Winter so far in Queensland you haven’t seen anything near like what is coming yet. 

The last major Winter heatwave of this magnitude across QLD was in late August 2009 when many daily and monthly records were smashed. That event has set the record bar very high however we are still looking at near record temperatures across parts of the state during next week. 

It all starts tomorrow (Friday) when a high pressure system builds over the state. This high becomes anchored for 7 days blocking any cold fronts from down South. It will result in fine sunny conditions across the state with light winds. Heat will slowly begin to build through the interior during the weekend. This heat will then spread east and continue to get hotter into next week reaching a peak on Wednesday and Thursday. Finally a cold front will push through Southern inland and Western districts next Thursday before spreading across the state next weekend bringing temperatures back to near normal. 

gfs-sfct_anom_c-au-2017080918-loop

So just how hot for the next week??? 5 to 10C above average with maximum temperatures between 30 and 35C across all inland areas of the state. The only inland temperature exceptions will be Toowoomba, Warwick between 24 and 29C and Stanthorpe between 22 to 26C, though, this is still 5 to 10C above their averages. Maximum temperatures of 25 to 29C expected along the exposed coast and what I mean by exposed coast is you can see the ocean!

 Minimum temperatures through the outlook period will remain a cool 10C or less across the Southern and Central inland with morning frosts becoming limited to the Granite Belt. This is due to clear nights, low humidity levels and light winds allowing the heat of the day to escape more easily.

Check out this run of daily max temps from Friday to next Thursday… 
Brisbane =  29, 29, 27, 27, 29, 30, 30. 
Ipswich = 29, 30, 28, 31, 33, 33.
Gympie = 28, 30, 29, 29, 30, 31, 31.
Gold & Sunshine Coasts = 27, 28, 26, 27, 27, 29, 29. 
Gatton = 29, 29, 29, 29, 31, 34, 34.
Toowoomba = 24, 24, 24, 24, 27, 29, 29. 
Bundaberg = 26, 27, 27, 28, 29, 28, 29. 
Gladstone = 25, 27, 27, 27, 28, 27, 28.
Rockhampton = 27, 28, 29, 30, 30, 31, 31. 
Mackay = 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 27, 27. 
Townsville = 27, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28. 
Cairns = 28 for next 7 days. 
Charleville = 29, 28, 29, 30, 33, 33, 33.
Longreach = 31, 31, 31, 32, 33, 34, 34.
Emerald = 28, 29, 30, 30, 32, 32, 32.
Mt Isa = 31, 32, 31, 31, 32, 33, 33.
Birdsville = 26, 28, 32, 33, 35, 34, 30.